Saturday, January 22, 2011

modern mystery

I really didn't understand before why people would be so fond of silver platters, so eager to offer up favors and services and resources. Don't you see, I thought, that by doing so you disrespect them? You doubt their ability to get there themselves. You doubt their worth, their mettle, their resolution.

But I am in a constant quest of unearthing my naivete.

In the same way that parents provide for you, or you look after your blood kin, or the way you take care of a well worn souvenir--

If it were in my power, I would give you the world at the drop of a hat.

I'm cataloging things I think are inherently human. Things that will never change in us, like our desire for happiness. Our jealousy, selfishness, the way some things scar us and always will.

Among those, something I have actually never considered, is that whole shenanigan. Our immense desire to please those we love, even sometimes at our expense.

It's strange, really. I thought it would be the ultimate vote of confidence to do nothing and have someone understand that I believed in their strength. But more and more I find we would do anything to try and make absolutely certain of their happiness.

Funny too, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment